This year I decided I wanted to keep Ace's party easy. He has been talking about having an Avengers party for forever so we knew the theme would be Super Heroes.
Since his birthday is in the Summer we always plan an indoor party because every year (except this year of course) it has rained on his party day. It is also disgustingly hot and humid here so no one enjoys outdoor parties unless they are water related in the Summer.
I finally decided a movie theme would be perfect. Ace has really gotten into going to the movies so we borrowed my friends projector and popcorn maker for an authentic movie night!
Branden Mcgyver'd up a screen on the wall where our TV usually sits and we threw a bunch of pillows and blankets on the floor to make it extra cozy. I bought thesechairs and my friend passed down her daughter's to my girls so we had extra seating with those as well.
I wanted to keep food simple too so I made Buffalo Chicken Dip, ordered pizza and made up a Popcorn bar. I just bought a bunch of candies from the grocery store so the kids could throw them in their bags of popcorn. They loved it!
I ordered cupcakes from the grocery store as well. I asked them to spray two colors on each cupcake; purple and green for the Hulk, red and yellow for Iron Man and of course Red, White and Blue for Captain America. I used puffy stickers I got at Walmart as the toppers. I just taped them to toothpicks. Super easy.
For favors I bought a bunch of Super Hero capes when we were doing Everly's party. They were a huge hit. My girls are more obsessed with these than Ace. They are incredibly cute running around in them.
I also had goodie bags with Avengers ritz, gummies and rice crispy treats.
Overall we had a blast hanging out with friends on a Friday night and loved celebrating this sweet boy!
And I had to get this picture of Ace and my cousin Brian. They have an awesome bond. The first one is from Ace's 2nd birthday and obviously the second one is his 4th.
Today’s post is sponsored by Gerber® Good Start® Gentle, who believe that comfort for baby means happiness for all. Here is my Formula for Happiness™.
Since Ace turned 4 I started looking back on photos of him as a little newborn. That time in our lives was actually really rough.
Ace was a difficult newborn. He had colic, didn't sleep at all through the night and cried all.the.time. I felt like I was failing him. Here is what helped me through the toughest times as a Mom to a newborn.
1. Ask for help. Having a newborn who doesn't sleep can play games with your head. I actually went over to my parents house and told my Mom that my baby hated me, ha! She saw how tired I was and took Ace in her arms and let me lay down and get a little break. It felt good to sleep and know he was in good hands. There is no shame in having someone help you with a newborn and most people like cuddling that cute little bundle of joy.
Have questions on your? Gerber® Good Start® Gentle is happy to introduce a Certified Sleep Consultant for your little one’s needs. Good sleep–for your baby and your family—is an essential component of your journey. That journey isn’t always perfect, but getting support every step of the way helps.
2. Take time for yourself. As time went on I realized I was allowed to take little breaks here and there for full time Mommy hood. It was good for my state of mind and it made me a better Mom. I wasn't as stressed and that little time away made me appreciate my time with my son.
I think the formula for happinesswith any Mom, especially new Moms is allowing yourself to get a break. It might not be easy to go out for a date or with the girls but even a bath at the end of the day when your baby finally falls asleep can do wonders for your state of mind. This was my go to with Everly because she was also a hot mess. Ashlyn thankfully was my easy newborn but even with an easy newborn I needed a break here and there.
3. Get out of the house! Something else I found that really helped me get through the newborn stage, especially with Everly was going for a walk in the morning. Even if I was exhausted from her being up all night I would stick her and Ashlyn in their stroller and go for a walk around our neighborhood. It would actually give me energy and start my day off right.
4. Make time for your partner. Newborns take up a lot of our time and energy often leaving our partner out in the cold. It can make you both feel disconnected and any time you can steal away will help you reconnect as a couple. I know date nights or even nights where we can just relax and watch our favorite show together are so important to us. We can just hang out like we did when we were dating and remember what this crazy life is all about. Being a family and enjoying our time together!
Gerber® Good Start® Gentle believes that the Formula for Happiness™ can be a lot of things, and moms have different ways of enjoying the journey through motherhood.
Now it's your turn to tell me what your formula for happiness is for new Moms. Use hashtag #formulaforhappiness so I can check out all your awesome tips on Instagram and Twitter!
Last year I started a little birthday tradition with Ace. Well, two birthday traditions. The first one is a donut "cake" the morning of his birthday. We sing Happy Birthday and have a yummy breakfast. I also do a little interview with him and it's really fun to see how his answers have changed since last year.
1. What is your name? Ace
2. How old are you? Four
3.What is your favorite thing to do? Play round and round on my bikes.
4. What do you want to be when you grow up? Spiderman
5. What is your favorite food? chicken and broccoli
6. Who do you like to spend time with? Kayla and Ti Ti
7. What do you do really well? Play on my iPad.
8. What makes you laugh? When my Daddy…(does some weird monster walk)
9. What is the best time of day? Going to Disney is the best world of the day.
10. What are you afraid of? Nothing when I am 4. Last time when I turned 3 my bedroom.
11. Who is your best friend? Brielle, Ashleen, Gavin, Brody. I just love to do something with my Dad. I love to paint with him. I love to help him paint on my house. I love to play in the garden. Help my Dad grow flowers and I want to play with everything. (We don't have a garden)
12. What do you like to do with your family? Paint a picture.
13. What do you love to learn about? ABC's and learning alphabets
14. Where do you like to go? I like to go to Ti Ti's house and I love to go camping and I love to play at my house. (He's never been camping)
15. What is your favorite book? Tigers one.
16. If you had one wish what would it be? A racing one.
17. What is your favorite color? Pink
18. What is your favorite animals? Cheetah
19. What is your favorite song? The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round
20. What is your favorite snack? Crackers
21. What is your favorite holiday? HALLOWEEN!
22. What did you do on your birthday? We to the Kerris wheel (carousel), went went in the cars, and we just forgot to go on the train. We didn't go on the train.